Sunday, May 16, 2010

Margin Notes: Blue Jay, Electric Car, Podcasts


A Blue Jay was found where else--Toronto, specifically Lambton Park on 16-May-2010

TORONTO, ONTARIO - Despite the name of its baseball team, I don't see the actual blue jay bird very often in Toronto. The last time I captured a picture of one was in 2007. So, I was quite pleased today when one flew right in front of me in Lambton Park and landed in a nearby tree, affording the above photo opportunity. Perhaps coincidentally, the Toronto Blue Jays defeated the Texas Rangers today.

* * * * * *

After taking nice nature walks along the Humber River or High Park and seeing collections of birds and other wild life, I really dislike walking along streets with noisy vehicles. Thus, earlier this week, I was quite pleased when I watched a Ford Escape hybrid take a near-silent turn onto a street and proceed with barely a sound. I think I'm going to really like the electric car era when it finally arrives.

* * * * * *


The first new sidewalk stencil I have discovered in 2010 was this Rafat General Contractors one on Humbercrest Boulevard on 16-May-2010

I was avoiding walking along busy Jane Street when I cut along Humbercrest Boulevard today. There, I stumbled upon my first sidewalk stencil of 2010--a patch of concrete sidewalk that was probably poured on Friday. Rafat General Contractors gets the honor of being the first name I photographed in concrete in 2010.

* * * * * *

My first sidewalk stencil came almost a month earlier in 2010 than 2009, but my observation skills are still pretty slow. I just now realized that the BBC Newshour is available as a podcast. What I consider to be the premiere world news program has apparently been available for months. Getting a downloadable BBC news program on the weekend had long been one of my primary desires for electronic media. The only programs that I regularly listen to now that don't have a downloadable version with at least the bulk of the broadcast are the NPR news magazines (like All Things Considered and Weekend Edition Saturday) and CJAD/CFRB's Dr. Joe Schwarcz science show. In fact, I think my biggest complaint now is that one can't get Jian Ghomeshi's monologue for Q except on the live broadcast.

No comments: