Sunday, January 25, 2009

Margin Notes: Winter, Inauguration, Bags


Even in Toronto! An enclosed walkway between the Rogers Centre and the Convention Centre was deemed necessary during a cold spell on 24-January-2009

TORONTO, ONTARIO - Yes, it's still cold here. In fact, it's so cold that the Metro Toronto Convention Centre decided to set up an enclosed walkway to the Rogers Centre sports arena by 24-January-2009, something I had never seen before but apparently happens on occasion each winter. Sure enough, a few minutes after taking the above photograph I ran into a woman in the Skywalk between Union Station and the CN Tower asking where the Convention Centre entrance was located; she called the Skywalk "a dead end." "It's not really a dead end," I noted as I guided her to the indoor walkway. "But I would have to go outside!" she protested. Once she was safely on the escalator in the heated Convention Centre entrance, I proceeded back outside from the Skywalk to my next destination.

* * * * * *

She was likely going to a jewelry convention, but there were a number of events in Toronto this weekend to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the birth of Scottish poet Robert Burns, starting with the dinner put on by The Robert Burns Club of Toronto on Friday night. On Saturday, a bunch of us were trying to figure out why they didn't schedule it for his actual birthday which was today, January 25th. We decided it must be that, with all the other events this weekend, they wanted to be first to make certain that people would still be willing to eat haggis.

* * * * * *

I didn't see any haggis at the Loblaw's grocery store this week, but I did happen to be at Loblaw's on 12-January-2009, the very day when they started to charge five cents for each plastic bag requested. I've been bringing my own bags to the store since shortly after moving to Toronto, so this didn't represent a change for me, but many more affluent customers at the Humberview Loblaw's did seem annoyed. When she saw my bags, my checkout clerk stated, "I see you're a good boy." It's been a long time she I've heard anything like that.

* * * * * *

I bet Associate Justice of the US Supreme Court John Paul Stevens hasn't heard anyone call him a "good boy" in a long time, either, but he looked pretty good compared with Chief Justice John Roberts after Stevens correctly led US Vice President Joe Biden in his oath-taking, whereas Roberts started what turned into a meltdown in the oath-taking of President Barack Obama to the extent that it was felt wise to have Roberts and Obama repeat the whole procedure later. Stevens, now 88, will likely step down during the Obama administration, so this will be the last time he will serve in this capacity, and it was great to see him on stage. As for Roberts and Obama, I thought the episode was a nice reminder that they are both human.

* * * * * *

An apparent highlight of the inauguration ceremony on Tuesday was the performance of "Air and Simple Gifts," composed by John Williams and performed by Yo-Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman, Anthony McGill, and Gabriela Montero. The symbolism in the diversity of the performers was stunning, and as I practically cried over the fact that such a team could only be put together in the United States, I found it all the more remarkable that these musicians could pull off such a great-sounding performance in the weather conditions. As now has been widely reported, it turns out that they didn't. The musicians were pantomiming to a recording that they had made in more ideal conditions. After all the controversy and accusations against the Chinese for faking aspects of the Olympic Opening Ceremonies last year, I didn't find this revelation amusing at all. The whole theme of the beginning of the Obama administration was that the nation's lofty goals could be achieved while following our principles. Apparently, those principles include faking emotional performances which doesn't bode well for more important things to be done by the administration.

* * * * * *


A beaver swam down the Humber River in Toronto on 20-January-2009

I assure you there is no fakery involved in the above image. While its tail wasn't visible in this view, there was a beaver swimming in the Humber River near Dundas Street for a brief time on Tuesday afternoon. This marked the first time I have a seen a wild representative of the national symbol during my time here in Canada, and it was a sight to behold; I hope I see it again.

* * * * * *


TTC "Fishbowl" bus #2419 turned left from Dundas Street onto Old Dundas Street in Toronto on 20-January-2009 while working the 55 Warren Park route

In the past, I've made a point of taking about how happy I am to see any of the TTC's aging "fishbowl" buses, some nearly as old as I am, still in service, especially in my neighborhood. The above photo is proof that they continue to be assigned to our local 55 Warren Park run. Long live the fishbowls!

No comments: